Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thankful Thursday

Something different this week - THANKFUL Thursday instead of Three Things Thursday :-)  With life's stresses and trials, it is so easy to forget to be thankful for the little things.  I know that when I pray I find myself praying for the day-to-day things - a home, food, family, a job, ability to pay bills, Jesus, Grace, etc.  But, what about the little things that happen every day that we just assume happen on their own - with no help from anyone, let along God.

This week I am so very thankful.  Reflecting today, I realized that despite the stress of the week, I'm quite a lucky woman.
1.  I'm thankful that I have a great job, that I'm good at it and that I get to do it every day.  The week has been full of meetings and I have so much to do at my desk I'm overwhelmed a little, but I WILL catch up and the meetings were necessary so instead of being stressed about that "To Do" pile - I'm glad it's there and that I can get it done...........starting tomorrow!
2.  I'm thankful that the bad weather Monday night caused as little damage as it did.  My house did not catch on fire from lightening as at least two houses did.  No trees fell on my house.  We are alive.  Our family  and friends are safe and well.  We needed the rain and the plants in my garden that survived are growing by leaps and bounds.
3.  I am thankful that I have a husband who can fix virtually anything.  During the storm, our water meter broke - for the third time in 1 1/2 years.  It's getting REALLY old too.  The water meter is only about 10 inches from a very large tree which has grown and has roots that shift and move.  The meter is lifting up but the PVC pipes on my side of the line are not - the meter is about 3-4 inches above the pipe.  We, once again, fixed it ourselves - this time using swimming pool flexible PVC piping that will "give" and "move" with the ground hopefully.  The city will not move the meter - won't do it despite the fact that they approved inspection this house when it was built 11-12 years ago with the meter exactly where it is.  My one prayer is that next time the entire meter blows or the pipes on the city's side go so that they have to take care of it.  Maybe they will move it then - at their cost, not mine.
4.  I am thankful that I have vacation days.  I was not happy that I had to use one Tuesday to get things repaired around here, but if I didn't have them, then I wouldn't have been paid for the day off that I needed.
5.  I am thankful that I have a reliable vehicle and that God watches over me as I drive 25 miles to work one way each day in some of the craziest traffic anywhere.  However, I am not thankful to the fellow employee who rode on my back bumper this morning on I-220 and then gave me dirty looks when we got to work as if I were inconveniencing her when I tapped the brakes to get her off.   And, I am certainly not thankful to the motorcycle who made his own lane and tried to pass between me and the Hertz rental van who was beside me in the next lane.  The motorcycle rider actually bumped my car.  He could have been thrown off under the van and killed (or under MY Buick) but instead he gave me the universal hand signal telling what he thought of me, floored it, and continued on driving between two lanes of cars side by side for about five more rows of cars until he got ahead of us so he could go at least 90 mph or so.  Good luck to him - he's gonna need it because he's got a death wish.  Thankfully I saw no damage to my passenger door but I hope his left mirror is broken :-)  BTW - he also had no tag - I looked in case I needed to file a police report for damage.
5.  Finally, I am thankful that tomorrow is Friday and that Saturday and Sunday follow tomorrow.  I see TGIF all the time - but truly think about it.  The weekend is an opportunity for respite from weekday stresses.  Sunday is the Lord's Day - be sure to observe the Lord's Day and rest. God did - and so should we!  It should be TGSIC !!!  Thank Goodness Sunday Is Coming!!!

Blessings!
Wanda

No comments:

My Profile

I am a mother who works full-time but who is also a chauffer, chef, seamstress, fitness instructor, teacher, maid, gardener, runner, organization expert, salesperson, secretary and wife. I love my family and life is always busy but fun! Come along with me for the ride:-)

Status


View My Stats